archaeology asceticism Athens christianity heritage history Latest olympeion Past stylites TEMPLE OF OLYMPIAN ZEUS

Stylite Monks: Unknown Column Homes in Athens

Stylite Monks: Unknown Column Homes in Athens

Written entry in the diary was temporary but vital, suggesting the top of the Athens period: “7. July 1870 – The elegant cottage of the Olympic columns was demolished. Disassembly costs 160 drachmas. “That is how the archaeologist Panagiotes Eustratiades wrote in the ancient Greek period 1854-188.

"Hut" (Kaliva), mentioned in the Estratian diary, was a destructive destruction and / or stone of a possible Byzantine brick structure that had long appeared in numerous drawings, paintings and photographs by Athens' early modern artist and Photographer. The Olympian Zeus Greek-Roman Temple (called Olympieion) – about 20 meters above the ground, like a lonely eagle. Apparently, it was habitable because athletes and foreign visitors at different times stated that it was used as a shelter for an ascetic, stylized monk who was looking for an elevated, isolated loneliness.

Andrea Gasparin's Olympics, 1843, "cottage" on


Andrea Gasparin's "cottage" in 1843 is visible.


Draconian Policy

This humble but familiar detail of the Athens landscape in the 19th century, like many other Byzantine and medieval structures in the Acropolis and elsewhere, was the victim of draconian archaeological politics , who asked to remove the unwanted architectural additions that had come from the old, especially of the class of Athens

. In the 1870s, the "stylish cottage" was demolished and disappeared forever, the unforgettable detail of the archives in Athens in its fascinating medieval and early modern history.

The Olympieion Today. There is no trace of the structure that once sat above the ruins. Olympiaion today. There is no trace of the structure that once sat above the ruins.

The mysterious ruin

There are no traces of the stylite shelter today for Olympianion visitors. The masonry that is currently visible above the top columns of the temple is part of contemporary green coatings that cover the iron beams installed by architect Ernst Ziller in 1892 to reinforce the entablature of the monument. Despite this, questions have arisen about this inconsistent, strange location that once stood above the striking ruins of the temple.

Some observers have begun to suspect that stylish monks have always used late construction. Charonambos Bouras, Professor of Old Architecture at the National University of Technology in Athens

Despite Bouras's contradictory assertions at the beginning of the 20th century, a living informant suggests that in the mid-19th century a stylish monk was indeed a residence on the Olympia-Zeus Temple – just a few years before it was demolished .

The oldest mosaic of Syrian Symeon in St. Mark's Basilica of Venice. The oldest mosaic of Syrian Symeon in St. Mark's Basilica in Venice.

Early Christian Asceticism

Style Stylism – Living on a Pillar or Pillar (Stylos) – was the extreme form of asceticism in late antiquity that could be born at the beginning of the fifth century.

Its obvious founder was Syrian Symeon, the oldest resident of Antioch, who first rose to the pillar in AD 412. Symeon and his like-minded Followers were looking for such isolated retreats

In addition, their elevated abode placed them symbolically closer to heaven and enabled them to regard them as leading an exemplary life more than angels than humans.

Byzantine Icons and Other The pictorial or textual evidence shows that stylists often built small platforms or boxes, usually made of wood, which can be used with removable ladders, if necessary. Temporary scaffolds were sometimes erected next to a column or pillar in elegant life to remove his body.

In the case of the Athens Olympics, due to the huge size of the temple, one has to wonder how a style monk

Archaeologists in the Middle East have identified columns of stylites through cuttings that are sometimes made of stone for fixing irons. or sleeves needed to strengthen monks' improvised stands.

The larger column carved them with sacred objects, icons, or monuments of a dead style. Perhaps the rivets shown in the columns of the Olympiaion were late additions intended for a similar purpose.

View of Hadrian's Arch and Olympics 1794; above the columns there is a three-layered style monk


View of the Hadrian's Arc and Olympics, 1794; The three story cottage is visible above the columns.


Hadrian's "Palace"

Although the huge temple of the Olympics, Zeus was founded late in the 6th century BC, its construction was soon abandoned, continued occasionally in the Hellenistic and possibly in early Roman times, the Hellenophile Emperor Hadrian was completed in 132. Finally, destructive attacks and natural disasters are destroyed.

The Olympics were claimed at least in the 18th century to be the Hadrian's Palace, while the singular structure above the columns was sometimes called the remains of the main complex of the palace. 19659002] When the architects James Stuart and Nicholas Revett arrived in Athens in 1751, the city myths were eventually lost by the proper identification of their "Zeus Olympius Temple". Nothing was mentioned in the purpose or date of masonry in addition to the top of the temple though, although it is clearly noticeable in two architects engraved with images.

The structure was larger than the traditional pillar sanctuary. The structure was larger than the traditional stylite cabin.

Confirmed Tower

Two centuries later, Bouras, claiming that the "stylite cottage" was too large and atypical to be a non-styled dwelling, states that "there were three stories and usually resembled a tower." 19659002] His 20th century photo experience revealed the lost structure that was created above the inner peristical column of the Olympic League in its southeast corner, consisted of an ancient or early Christian spoil (reusable material) with several obvious fixes or repairs. ] At least two windows were opened on each side, while the inner surface would have been about 1.35 m wide and 7 m long. Bouras proposes a construction date early or in the middle of the Byzantine era, before AD 1000.

Bouras also stated that "there is sufficient evidence that the structure … was never a cell of style, as it used to be, it could have been a strong vision, two or three soldiers with arms and equipment," could detect enemy lines

Johann Michael Wittmer's painting can be seen in 1833. The remnants of the Stylik cottage can be seen. Reports Munk

However, at least two of Bouras' unknown travel books refer to the later addition of the Olympieion, which is used as an elegant monk's sanctuary. ] of the two provinces The brick building based on the architecture of the Column has to have been a genre of hermit: it is three stories high and about twenty feet long and seven wide; and it must be erected when the temple was much more complete… ”

This testimony signifies that the monk had lived in columns sometime earlier than his visit, when this local character had turn into a memorial and interesting historic feed for Dodwell's guide or informant

Dodwell nevertheless, it supplies proof of the Olympics at work in their very own time. He tells us that when he was getting ready to save lots of the temple, he was approached by an "old Albanian woman named Cosmichi, who … who is going on … [was] surprised by the unusual appearance of my camera obscura", a big moveable box-imaging system that’s then used for drawing and painting [19659002] Dodwell quotes him saying, "You know where the intrigues are – but with all your magic you can't put them in your box!" Black watch watches them all day; and at night time bounce from column to column! "

Equally fascinating, Dodwell continues to say:" Then he continued to significantly persuade me that the brick constructing constructed on the architecture was an ideal treasure … and [this] black residence "Cosmich's comments, albeit somewhat eccentric, show that dark leather, perhaps Syrian The monk or other hermit lived at the top of the ancient temple at that time.

Simeon's Icons from the 1465's describe a scene similar to the old Athenian reminiscent of a visit to Olympeion in the mid-19th century. The Simeon Icons from the 1465s depict a scene similar to the old Athena-like description of a visit to Olympeion in the mid-19th century.
Stylism, which lives in a column or column (stylos), was an extreme form of asceticism. Stylitism, which lives in a column or column (stylos), was an extreme form of asceticism.

Another account, for just over a century, is with another visitor and sometimes resident, Alexander Wilbourne Weddell, a former American consulate in Athens, who also describes his prestigious experiences in Greece.

In an article by National Geographic, entitled "Glory, which was Greece" (December 1922), Weddell suggests that one day he enjoyed a walk to the Olympic Temple:

”We took a seat at the bottom of one column and looked up at its top. There, over the years, a long charm had passed through the night and days until death brought them to release. During his stay in Athens, the old Athenian assured me that he remembered as a child who visited the temple areas and carried gifts of bread and fruit to a style that then lived in a column and landed in the basket to get visitors' offers. "

If Weddell's" old Athenian "is believed, a minimum of one stylite monk had once again lived in a residential building on the Olympic Games in the center of the yr. Within the 19th Century

Though Bouras was proper that the exceptional development of the "stylite cottage" seems much less unique than the attainable defensive tower, this doesn’t remove the fact that it is based mostly on the written testimony that it was a misplaced historic monument. In the stage earlier than the 1870 Diary of Eustratiades, which contained a collection of trendy monks who found the "Hadrian Columns" an ideal perch that suits their religious wants. [19659052]! Perform (f, b, e, v, n, t, s) if (f.fbq) yield; n = f.fbq = perform () n.callMethod?
n.callMethod.apply (n, arguments): n.queue.push (arguments) if (! f._fbq) f._fbq = n;
n.push = n; n.loaded =! zero; n.version = & # 39; 2.0 & # 39 ;; n.queue = []; t = b.createElement (e); t.async =! 0;
t.rc = v; s = b.getElementsByTagName (e) [0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore (t, t) (window,
document, & # 39; manuscript & # 39 ;, // join.facebook.internet/en_US/fbevents.js');
fbq (& # 39; init & # 39 ;, & # 39; 515768505254265 & # 39;);
fbq ("track", "PageView")